Arguing with God


I encountered this unique moment in Yellowstone a few years ago with a hawk and eagle flying together. Believe it or not, there are two verses in the Bible (also together) that mention these two beautiful birds, and they were spoken by God to a man named Job, and He begins with the question...

"Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words? Brace yourself like a man, because I have some questions for you, and you must answer them." (Job 38:2-3)

When God tells you to brace yourself like a man, you can bet He's going to speak hard truth into your life. And it should be understood upfront that you will NOT win an argument with God. Job was in a very bad place in his life and questioned God's wisdom and actions, so God began to ask Job many questions for which he had no answers, including the following...

"Is it your wisdom that makes the hawk soar and spread its wings toward the south? Is it at your command that the eagle rises to the heights to make its nest?" (Job 39:26-27)

After a long list of questions similar to this related to God's sovereignty, power and wisdom, Job finally had something smart to say in response to God...

"I am nothing—how could I ever find the answers? I will cover my mouth with my hand. I have said too much already. I have nothing more to say." (Job 40:4-5)

The eagle and hawk can be very noisy birds, but in this case they are a reminder to me to be quiet and let God be God. I may not like the situation I'm going through, and I may talk to God a lot about getting out of a struggle I'm dealing with, but I do not have the right to question God's intellect regarding why I'm dealing with stuff that is difficult, sad or unpleasant. I should remember that I am included in God's greater plan for all of mankind even if I can't comprehend how I fit into it at the moment. I am reminded of the words spoken by God through the prophet Isaiah...

"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the Lord. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?