Cancer Root


Orobanche uniflora
Also goes by the names One-flowered Broomrape, One-flowered Cancer Root, Ghost Pipe and Naked Broomrape


Cancer Root is native to much of North America, where it is a parasitic flowering plant, feeding off of other plants' root systems.

Cancer Root only takes from its host and does not give anything beneficial in return. When I think about this plant it reminds me of the toll that a sinful or over-indulgent lifestyle has on one's life. While it may be true that physical pleasure may be the immediate result, the longer lasting affects often leave a person unsatisfied, longing for more, hurting emotionally and destroyed physically (not to mention the spiritual ramifications). 

Sin is a cancer or parasite that takes, takes, takes and is not treatable except through the cleansing available by God. King David was known as a man after God's own heart, but even he found himself separated from his Heavenly Father after giving himself over to one sin after another. The Bible records his earnest, brokenhearted and repentant prayer:

Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. (Psalm 51:1-2 & 10-12)

God desires to forgive and renew a life sucked dry by the parasite of sin. He can renew and restore a life ravaged by the cancer of willful disobedience. Ask God to create in you a clean heart and a willing spirit that will sustain you to follow Him.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?