I Want to Know... But Do I Really?


I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death. (Philippians 3:10)

I want to know Christ...
Yes, I hunger and thirst for that intimate relationship modeled by some of today's and yesterday's spiritual giants. I don't just want to know ABOUT Him; I want to KNOW Him. I want to feel his heartbeat and know His thoughts. I want to walk with Him in the mountains and on the city streets. I want to experience a deep and abiding relationship with Jesus.

Yes, to know the power of His resurrection...
Oh to live without fear; to speak boldly the truth found in God's Word; to love like Jesus unconditionally; to be fueled by His Holy Spirit; to know and experience the same power in my life that raised Jesus from the dead. No more timidity, but an energy that moves within me to reach, teach and disciples others as Jesus did.

...and participation in His sufferings
Wait! Whoa! Stop right there! Participate in HIS sufferings. I've read the Bible. I know how it turned out for Jesus when he walked this earth. Why would Paul even say something like this? Because to know Jesus and His power means that people will treat me like they did Him. Jesus said,
 "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first." (John 15:18) If I put my faith in a closet so that no one knows that I'm a Christian, then it's likely I'll never experience His sufferings. But that's not the call of a disciple.

...becoming like Him in His death.
Jesus said if we are to be His disciples then we must be willing to deny ourselves, take up our cross daily, and follow Him. (Luke 9:23) If I truly want to walk with Jesus then I must be willing to stay by His side even when the journey becomes cruel and unbearable for it is in the sufferings that I truly know the power of His resurrection to endure, continue and press on... until my last breath and heaven's reward.

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms. (Ephesians 1:18-20)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?