Making a Name


Yes, I am one of THOSE tourists. I have a camera strapped to my side and I am looking up at all the really tall buildings that appear to touch the sky.

This building in Dallas, TX really struck me as an incredible feat of architectural design and ingenuity. Sure, there are buildings taller than this in other cities, but this one in particular rose WAY above the rest where I roamed.

Looking up at it reminded me of the biblical story of the tower of Babel in Genesis 11 where the people gathered together and said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves..." The end result was God confusing the people by giving each person a new, unknown language so that they were no longer able to built this unified structure to glorify themselves... and they were scattered across the earth.

As we revisit this story, we should consider just how much pride can fill our hearts with notions of personal greatness and draw us away from our loving heavenly Father who seeks humble hearts that lift Him up, giving Him the glory He desires and deserves.

Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” (1 Peter 5:5)

[Thus says the Lord...] "The people I value are not proud. They are sorry for the wrong things they have done. They have great respect for what I say." (Isaiah 66:2)

For whom are you making a name?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?