A View from Behind


So, you want to make a living as a wildlife or nature photographer? DON"T COUNT ON IT!

This may sound disheartening to many who, like me, love photography so much that you could see yourself touring the world shooting exotic destinations for National Geographic. Since listening to the pros pour their hearts a couple years ago at the Smoky Mountains Photography Summit, I no longer have this dream. My dream is even bigger.

You see, each of these men -- some with 40 years of great success in photography -- all earn their livelihoods through related or completely unrelated businesses. Most now lead tours, write books, do speaking engagements, and sell a few images. But the competition out there now has made it impossible to rely completely on image sales to make a house payment or even buy a good steak.

So why do they still shoot? --Because they love it. They have all found that shooting for a loving is way better than shooting for a living. They have given their passion some purpose whether it be equipping others to learn the craft, educate others about certain wildlife species, or to share their faith through the gift God gave them.

I am a Christian, a husband, a father, a grandfather, a missionary, a musician, and a photographer. Rather than developing my art to become rich and famous, I choose to develop my skills in photography to glorify God and point others to Christ.

The Apostle Paul wrote, "Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)  

Every time I look through my camera's viewfinder I pray that God will reveal Himself to me and use the images to reveal Himself through me. This is my prayer in Jesus' name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?