Take Me Home


"Take Me Home, Country Roads" is a song co-written and sung by John Denver with those unforgettable lyrics:

Almost heaven, West Virginia,
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River.
Life is old there, older than the trees,
younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze.
Country roads, take me home to the place I belong.
West Virginia, mountain mamma,
take me home, country roads.

I love the Smoky Mountains and I love Cades Cove. I have wondered what it would have been like living there 100 years ago. I still dream of this area being the place of my retirement.

Nevertheless, whether I remain in GA, or move to NC or TN, I realize that this is really not my home. I am but a sojourner in a foreign land. You see, my home is in heaven and there is no country road that that take me there -- only the blood-bathed path that led to Calvary.

The writer of Hebrews tells us, "This world is not our permanent home; we are looking forward to a home yet to come." ~Hebrews 13:14

Paul wrote, "But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior." ~Philippians 3:20

So, while the Smokies may be as close as it gets to heaven on earth, there is a much better place that awaits where the streets are not made of dirt and gravel but of solid gold. Picture that!!!

Hyatt Lane in Cades Cove, GSMNP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?