Bare Before the World


If you've walked to John Oliver's cabin in Cades Cove then you are familiar with this tree. Of course, it looks different with leaves covering it's branches but in this bare state there is nothing to hide it's true form. You see every beautiful, healthy branch as well as every flawed and damaged one.

This is a picture of humility to me. No, I certainly don't condone running around bare naked before the world, but I do believe that we ought to be genuine, authentic, real and honest about ourselves around others. We should not pretend to be perfect because we are all flawed and broken in some way.

One of the big problems with social media is that people are under the impression that some have the perfect life, with the perfect job, perfect relationships, perfect vacations, etc. while the truth is that everyone hurts, everyone cries and everyone needs a shoulder to lean on.

Christians ought to be especially honest with the world about the struggles, temptations, trials and pain they face. It requires vulnerability, but in that you will find companionship and community. It might even help you relate better with those who need a loving Savior as they see how you patiently endure.

The Apostle Paul was probably the greatest missionary with the greatest influence ever apart from Jesus, yet he was very honest about the difficult life that was required of him.

But [God] said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

Paul's strength was found in his humility, vulnerability and reliance on the person and power of Christ. So should ours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?