Final Resting Place


We look at a scene like this and consider the possibility of an eternal resting place in the mountains, but while this is a beautiful landscape it certainly is of no value to someone who has passed from this life into the next. A dead body cannot appreciate this field, the mountains and pretty tree. Only those of us who are alive can see it, smell it and experience it.

As lovely as this is, I am certain that there is a place reserved for me that is far more spectacular that I can even begin to imagine. The Bible talks of heaven and gives us a glimpse of its extravagant beauty, but far beyond that is the wondrous understanding that I will have the opportunity to walk, talk and worship Jesus face-to-face for eternity.

How can I be sure of that? Jesus said:

"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." (John 14:1-3)

God's house in heaven has many rooms, and Jesus is preparing one of them for me! (WOW!) The Bible speaks of a brand new creation one day where all the old is passed away and forgotten. I'm not sure what that will look like but I'm convinced the new heavens (skies) and new earth (land) will be far more amazing than what we know now.

And He who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” (Revelation 21:5)

"For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind." (Isaiah 65:17)

It will be a place where sin no longer exists and everything is right as God intended from the beginning.

But according to his promise we are waiting for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. (2 Peter 3:13)

Yes, that sounds way better than a monument on a hillside in Cades Cove. And instead of resting I will be rejoicing!

Methodist Church Cemetery

Cades Cove, GSMNP

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?