Days Like Two Hand Widths



Wes King wrote a song called "Life is Precious" with the following chorus:

Life is precious, life is sweet
Like the earth beneath my feet
Though I know I'm passing through
I know I belong to You
Life is precious, life is sweet
And this truth makes it complete
Knowing Jesus died for me
Life is precious
Life is precious, life is sweet


The older I get the more precious I value my life, my relationships, my memories and most importantly, my salvation. Truthfully though, life is not always sweet but each passing minute is both precious and priceless because once that moment is gone we can never retrieve it for a do-over. I love taking pictures because it at least helps me remember those events that could easily get lost in my graying brain matter.

I'm not sure exactly how much time is in a hand width or "hand breath" as found in some Bible translations, but the verses in Psalm 39:5-7 written by David below seems to indicate that it is very short in comparison to eternity. Read and pay close attention to his words:

“Behold, You have made my days as [short as] hand widths, and my lifetime is as nothing in Your sight. Surely every man at his best is a mere breath [a wisp of smoke, a vapor that vanishes]!
“Surely every man walks around like a shadow [in a charade]; Surely they make an uproar for nothing; Each one builds up riches, not knowing who will receive them.
“And now, Lord, for what do I expectantly wait? My hope [my confident expectation] is in You.


The old, rundown, rusty, stripped and molding car car pictured here must have been a very fine ride in its day. I can only image the family that drove to church and to picnic at the park in it. Maybe they even ventured to the beach or the mountains for vacation, but I'm sure it made a great number of trips to grandma's house (over the river and through the woods). A teenage boy may have learned to spin the tires for the first time in his dad's car... and got his first kiss right there in that front seat. But those days are long gone and this vehicle sits in a heap. I'm sure the original owners never envisioned it looking like this one day, but time can be cruel if there is no one able to give it a complete restoration.

David wrote that we often live our lives as if it were a charade; just pretending or faking our way through rather than living authentically around others. We are made to think that gaining and storing wealth rather than being generous and charitable is best for us. David's son, Solomon, wrote about all this:

I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind. (Ecclesiastes 1:14)

David ended his thoughts on a person's lifespan by acknowledging that the only thing worth treasuring, hoping and waiting expectantly for is God. If my mortal life of flesh is like a vapor, smoke or a mere breath, then I want every moment of that existence on earth to be cherished in the arms of my Lord and Savior with whom I will live forever -- completely restored and revving better than ever!

Whether I live one hand width or two, I will live it for the one who makes life precious and sweet, now and for eternity. And if I'm going to make an "uproar" on earth, may it not be for nothing but for the praise of Jesus Christ my Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?