Contentment


When driving down Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail you will experience pure nature. Yes, there are a few hiking trails along the road where you will find vehicles parked in every available pull-off. However, it is the trees and flowers and birds and bears that capture my attention in mountain forests once farmed and hunted on by early pioneers.

There are still reminders of those settlers and the homes in which they lived and raised their families. Looking back, I suppose we would call their day-to-day labors and trials difficult at best compared to the luxuries we enjoy today, but I imagine these families were quite content in their mountain paradise.

Contentment is found when one accepts their place in life regardless of their circumstances. This state of mind is most commonly associated with those who have trusted in the Lord for all they have and all they need.

The Apostle Paul is a prime example of a life that endured tremendous hardship yet managed a spirit of contentment. Take note of the following written to the church in Philippi.

Philippians 4:11-13
I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

"I can do all things" is predicated on learning to be content in any situation. That does not come naturally. Contentment is learned as you trust God for anything, any time, anywhere. He is faithful to come through on His promises and today's troubles soon become yesterday's testimonies of His goodness, grace and provision.

Hebrews 13:5
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Devastation

Do You Love Me More Than These?

That Which Lasts Forever

Out to Pasture

Majestic Radiance

Looking Down the Road

One Splash

Trash or Treasures

Are You On The Rails?